Thursday, July 20, 2017

Day 6- Round 2 Ice Cream Wars

So it was back to camp for day 2 at Roborobo. It was take 2 on making ice cream. We had dry ice arriving so there is hope that ice cream will be made. I have a favorite breakfast item. I don't know the name of it yet but it's basically a version of fried dough that is about half as dense as fried dough.

 I have been on search for Rice Crispies, to make proper rice crispy treats. The frosted flakes were ok but they need to experience real rice crispy treats. So I have been busy figuring out were to go to look. Yesterday morning, I jumped on a bike and rode down to the Auchan, which is a french based grocery. It was in this strip mall that was called a hypermarket. It was kind of a mini mall with a grocery store in the bottom. After milling through the aisles, I have come to the conclusion there is no way I am going to find Rice Crispies.
 I came across some pictures on WeChat from our first day of camp at Roborobo. I picked out this one of Deborah, I can't say her Chinese name, because she is one of two girls. She is very shy but is very sharp. She figured out a couple of games very quickly and was very proud of herself.
 We made spaghetti towers that had to hold up a marshmallow. A new kid, David, had a most ingenious building method. He laid out all his spaghetti in the pattern he wanted on the table then taped them together when it was flat. Then after we helped unstick it, he put it vertical and made adjustments. He was also very proud of himself. Both kids just beamed.



 In order to combat the lack of ice, they ordered in dry ice. This box made me very happy.
 With dry ice comes cool wispy smoke. So in order to maximize the wow effect I chose to set the bags of dry with ice cream inside in bowls on their tables while they worked on the logo design. This turned to be my fatal flaw. It was right before lunch and we left them out. Half way through the break I checked and the almost frozen ice cream was starting to melt. Luckily, the Roborobo people took it to their meager fridge/freezer. So instead of ice cream we had slushies.



 Lunch and dinner in Beijing seems to delivered. The number of scooters with insulated delivery boxes on them that have almost killed is overwhelming. I watched as many of the kids had food delivered. Our food was delivered from somewhere. It was fish and rice with soup. The soup and fish were good but the gooey green stuff in between the fish and vegetables was gross. The cool thing is the Roborobo people always ask and are sensitive enough to make sure I am not hungry.
 After camp, I decided to take a ride up towards the summer palace since I was "close." I knew it was after hours so I wasn't going in but wanted to see the area. I had to laugh because the first commercial area I came to near the palace I spotted many western restaurants including a 7-11. I would have stopped for a Slurpee but I didn't want to risk losing my bike. The area was beautiful and lush. It was a very nice ride even though I was sweating profusely. It was very humid. The tower on the hill was very cool.





 It turns out close wasn't as close as I thought. The cool thing about the app is it's a fitness tracker as well. It only cost me $1 to use the bike for that long.
 So I had a weak moment and went to the mall for dinner. I had thought about going to Pizza Hut since ordering food is a bit of a challenge. I did stumble upon a steak place. They had all kinds of steak cooked to order in the middle of the mall. It was very good steak. It hot the spot and more. I also found a DQ. I had Oreo Tiramisu because shockingly enough there was no Reese's.



 The Roborobo people also introduced me to Chinese soda. Not sure what flavors they are beside some sort of orange citrus but it was good.
My ride home was pleasant. This is one of the streets I go down. The bike lane is pretty standard here. I am told the lack of parking is also standard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment